Iraqi General Mohammed Al-Rawi (Yigal Naor), ambuscade in Baghdad, is affair with his aides talking about the aggression of Iraq. Al-Rawi suggests that they delay until the Americans access and conceivably accomplish his army an action to accompany their forces.
Chief Accreditation Administrator Roy Miller (Matt Damon) and his band investigate a warehouse, believed to be captivation Weapons of Accumulation Destruction. But they acquisition that the barn is empty. At a debriefing, Miller brings up the point that the majority of the intel accustomed to him is inaccurate and anonymous, advertence that on his aftermost three attempts to acquisition WMDs, his aggregation had appear up with nothing. High-ranking admiral bound deflate Miller's approach about the intelligence actuality false. Afterwards the debriefing, Miller meets Martin Brown (Brendan Gleeson), a CIA administrator based in the Middle East who tells Miller that the abutting abode he is activity to investigate for WMDs is additionally empty, as a aggregation had already searched there months ago.
Meanwhile, Clark Poundstone (Greg Kinnear) is affable Ahmed Zubadi (Raad Rawi) an Iraqi baby-kisser at Saddam International Airport, area he is interrogated by announcer Lawrie Dayne (Amy Ryan). She asks if she could allege to "Magellan", to which Poundstone says that he is heavily "locked up".
While investigating addition site, Miller is approached by the Iraqi who calls himself "Freddie" (Khalid Abdalla), who tells Miller that he saw Al-Rawi at the affair in a adjacent house. Miller and his men apace go to the abode but Al-Rawi almost escapes but they booty one of his henchmen into custody. But afore Miller can abstract any added advice the man is taken by Delta Force, beatific by Poundstone.
Miller goes to Brown's auberge in the blooming area and acquaint him of what took place, again Brown gets permission for Miller to appointment the man taken by Delta Force. Afore leaving, he is approached by Wall Street Journal contributor Lawrie Dayne. When Miller gets to the bastille area the adviser is held, the man is in atrocious charge of medical attention, the man responds to Miller's catechism with the chat "Jordan". With Brown's help, Miller's suspicions are accepted that Al-Rawi met with Poundstone in February in Jordan as Poundstone's central man.
While Miller tries to accommodated with Al-Rawi, he is kidnapped by Al-Rawi's men because Poundstone appear the accommodation to conciliate all Iraqi army. Al-Rawi tells him that he told Poundstone there had been no WMD programme back the First Persian Gulf War, and we apprentice that Poundstone aria to his superiors in Washington – so that Iraq would be invaded. General Al-Rawi again flees. Meanwhile, Miller kills his captor and contest to abduction Al Rawi. Miller assuredly managed to clue bottomward Al-Rawi. But Freddie appears and kills Al-Rawi, adage to Miller "it's not for you to adjudge what happens in Iraq." Afterwards in his auberge room, Miller writes a address of aggregate that had happened.
Miller confronts Poundstone at a affair and gives him the report. Poundstone tells Miller that WMD does not matter. Then, Miller berserk grabs Poundstone, adage "the acumen we go to war consistently matters." Blackwater contractors breach them up. Poundstone again rejoins the Iraqi meeting, alone to see the Iraqi aberrant leaders babble at anniversary added and abrogation the meeting. Afterwards, Dayne accepting an e-mailed archetype of Miller's report. The camera again pans out to appearance Miller active off on the Iraqi highway, with the Iraqi oil fields in the background.
* Matt Damon portrays Roy Miller, a accreditation administrator in the US Army Special Armament who helps a arch CIA administrator in the chase for weapons of accumulation destruction. Roy Miller is based on real-life Army arch accreditation administrator Richard "Monty" Gonzales, whose Mobile Exploitation Aggregation was answerable with award the WMDs during the 2003 aggression of Iraq. Gonzales afterwards criticized the cabal subtext of the film. Damon abutting the blur with the affirmation that assembly would achieve by April 14, 2008 so he could alpha alive on the Steven Soderbergh blur The Informant! on April 15, amidst the scheduling difficulties acquired by the 2007–2008 Writers Guild of America strike.
* Amy Ryan portrays Lawrie Dayne, a adopted contributor for The Wall Street Journal who investigates the U.S. government's claims of the actuality of weapons of accumulation destruction. One analyst saw, admitting the "usual ... apocryphal ... disclaimer," above New York Times anchorman Judith Miller in the Dayne character.
* Brendan Gleeson portrays Martin Brown, the CIA Baghdad agency chief, about based on Jay Garner.
* Greg Kinnear portrays Clark Poundstone, Pentagon Special Intelligence. One analyst saw, admitting the "usual ... apocryphal ... disclaimer, ... Paul Brenner [sic]," Coalition Provisional Authority arch in 2003-4, in the Poundstone character.
* Yigal Naor portrays General Mohammed Al-Rawi, who is an adviser alleged 'Magellan', about based on the absolute activity adviser Rafid Ahmed Alwan aka 'Curveball'.
* Nicoye Banks portrays Perry.
* Jason Isaacs portrays Maj. Briggs, an arrant Delta Force operator.
* Martin McDougall portrays Mr. Sheen, CIA Baghdad abettor agency chief.
* Khalid Abdalla portrays Freddy, an afflicted Iraqi who has a "penchant for Bryan Adams". In the cine he becomes Miller's translator. Abdalla was casting in the role afterwards impressing Greengrass with his achievement in United 93. The amateur able for his role by acquirements the Iraqi Arabic accent and account Iraqi blogs like Riverbend and Alive in Baghdad.
* Antoni Corone portrays a colonel.
* Tommy Campbell portrays the Chopper Comms Commander.
* Paul McIntosh portrays a CIA officer.
* Sean Huze portrays U.S. Army Sergeant Conway, a affiliate of Roy Miller's MET team.
* Robert Harrison O'Neil portrays a TV Journalist.
* Said Faraj portrays Seyyed Hamza