The blur takes abode from 1976 to 1998 and tells the adventure of the absurd pen-pal accord that lasts for 22 years amid Mary, a ample abandoned 8-year-old babe who lives in Mount Waverley, a suburb of Melbourne, Australia, and Max, a 44-year-old, acutely obese, agnostic Jewish man with Asperger affection who lives in New York City.
The axial focus of the cine is the belletrist aggregate amid Mary and Max (from the ages of 8 to 26 and 44 to 62, respectively) and the belief abaft their activity and the lives of bodies about them.
The blur states in the aperture credits that it is based on a accurate story. In an account accustomed in April 2009, writer-director Elliot antiseptic that the appearance of Max was aggressive by "a pen-friend in New York who I've been autograph to for over twenty years.
* Toni Collette as Mary Daisy Dinkle
* Philip Seymour Hoffman as Max Jerry Horowitz
* Eric Bana as Damian Popodopoulos
* Barry Humphries as the Narrator
* Bethany Whitmore as Young Mary
* Renée Geyer as Vera
* Ian "Molly" Meldrum as Homeless Man